This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
This pumpkin stuffed french toast is a fall twist on a classic breakfast treat!
Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast
Sure, french toast is delicious! But STUFFED french toast is totally next level. This french toast is stuffed with a pumpkin cream cheese mixture which makes it off the charts.
This fall-themed breakfast is perfect for a special treat on the weekends, or for Thanksgiving morning! Tell your family and friends their minds are about to be blown.
This recipe is surprisingly simple to make and you can use either store-bought cream cheese or homemade vegan cream cheese. My favorite brand of store-bought vegan cream cheese is currently Go Veggie, but Tofutti and the Trader Joe's brand are also great!
Mix the cream cheese with pumpkin puree (canned or homemade works), cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and maple syrup. That's your french toast filling, or the "stuff".
Traditional french toast is typically dipped in an egg mixture, but we'll be substituting that of course. Mix together non-dairy milk, ground flax seed, pure vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Let it sit for a bit so it thickens. The ground flax seed acts as a binder like eggs.
I mix it in a shallow bowl - which makes it easy for dipping the french toast into before cooking.
Spread some of the pumpkin cream cheese mixture onto a slice of sturdy or stale bread, then place another piece of bread on top to make a sandwich. Avoid getting the filling too close to the edges, or it'll drip out while cooking. (I only did it for the photos of this recipe so you could see the filling!)
Dip the stuffed french toast into the milk & flax mixture for a couple of seconds on each side.
In a hot pan with oil or melted butter, cook the french toast on each side until golden brown. Top with vegan whipped cream, maple syrup, more cinnamon, and/or nuts.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
If you'd prefer to not use flax seed, see this classic vegan french toast for an alternative dipping batter.
Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast
- 8 slices sturdy or stale bread
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- for toppings: vegan whipped cream, maple syrup, nuts, etc.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the almond milk, ground flax seed, vanilla extract, and ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vegan cream cheese, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- Heat vegan butter or oil in a pan on a medium heat.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture evenly in the center of one slice of bread. Avoid getting it too close to the edges or may spill out while cooking. Then make a sandwich using another slice. Dip each side into the almond milk/ground flax mixture.
- Place the stuffed french toast in the hot pan and cook until golden brown. Flip, and cook until that side is golden brown as well. I typically cook two at a time.
- Serve warm with optional toppings.