This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy.
Mind-blowing vegan peanut butter cup cookies!
Peanut butter lovers...meet the cookie of your dreams!
These cookies are a twist on the traditional peanut butter blossom cookies, where a Hershey's kiss is pressed into a peanut butter cookie.
But why stop with the peanut butter goodness at the cookie?! Let's double it up and press a peanut butter cup into a peanut butter cookie and create the ultimate experience.
These are the perfect cookies to bring a cookie exchange or gift to others (along with classic vegan chocolate chip cookies and these carrot cake sandwich cookies.)
The first step to making these cookies is mixing together water and ground flaxseed to create a vegan "egg". Set the mixture aside for about 10 minutes, or until the texture is gelatinous.
In the meantime, mix together the peanut butter and softened vegan butter in a large bowl until well combined. Mix in granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and the flax egg. Lastly, mix in the flour and baking soda.
Cover and chill the cookie dough in the fridge for about 45 minutes. Chilling the dough will help prevent the cookies from flattening out too much while baking.
Roll the cold dough into balls (about 2 tablespoons worth of dough each.) Space out on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes. Then, press a peanut butter cup into the middle of each cookie. The cookies will crack around the edges, which is okay and expected.
Leave the cookies on the baking sheet (as they are still too warm to handle without falling apart) and place them in the fridge to cool so the peanut butter cups don't totally melt.
Once the cookies are cooled, you can remove them from the fridge and store them at room temperature in a sealed container.
This recipe makes about 18 cookies.
Mini Vegan Peanut Butter Cups?!
My favorite brand of mini vegan peanut butter cups - and the only ones I have ever found - are Justin's. I have found these at just about every grocery store near me, including Kroger, Target, and Whole Foods. They come in both milk chocolate and dark chocolate flavors. The dark chocolate is vegan.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave a comment and a ⭐ star review below!
Here's a recipe for regular vegan peanut butter cookies!
Still want delicious cookies, but don't want to turn on your oven? Try these peanut butter chocolate Vegan No-Bakes!
Vegan Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup softened vegan butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 18 vegan mini peanut butter cups like Justin's brand
- Mix together the ground flaxseed and water to make a "flax egg". Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter and softened butter until combined. Mix in the sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and the flax egg. Finally, mix in the flour and baking soda.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons each.
- Place the balls about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Press a peanut butter cup into the center of each cookie.
- Place the cookie tray in the fridge for 30 minutes to stop the PB cups from completely melting.
- Store at room temperature.